Pregnancy is a wonderful journey, but it is also the time when you could experience a lot of changes in your body and your skin is not an exception. The hormonal changes during pregnancy can make your skin more sensitive. Melasma, stretch marks, and acne are the top three skin problems among pregnant women. If you are dealing with any of these, follow these tips to prevent these from worsening:
- Use a gentle cleanser that is specially crafted for pregnant women. Not all skincare products for pregnancy woman are created equal. Because your skin is extra delicate this time around, it is important that you use a gentle product. The usual cleansers, toners, and exfoliants contain powerful ingredients that should be avoided during pregnancy. This includes retinol, tazarotene, and adapalene.
- Keep your skin well-moisturized to avoid stretch marks. Look for lactic acid and urea. These ingredients are good at maximizing the suppleness of the skin. You may also use several types of essential oil to massage your body. The best oils for eliminating stretch marks are Neroli, Sage, Lavender, Castor, and Rosehip oil. If you are planning to use a moisturizer, use a product with natural ingredients such as cocoa butter and shea butter.
- Use a sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Experts believe expecting women should avoid the sun because the heat affects the baby inside. But if you cannot help but step out, use a sunscreen with high SPF. Sunscreens are safe for pregnant women as long as they do not contain potentially harmful ingredients such as formaldehyde, parabens, and toluene.
- Don’t use an acne meditation. Oral and topical acne medications should be avoided during pregnancy because they might have Accutane and Retin-A that can also be passed into the baby. There are products out there that are all-natural and will not harm the baby inside you.
- Keep yourself hydrated. One of the best beauty tips ever, regardless if you are expecting or not, is to drink lots of water. Increasing your water intake can actually reduce breakouts and acne because it helps in flushing out the toxins from your body. Keeping your skin hydrated is also the best natural way to prevent stretch marks from happening.
- Use a makeup recommended for pregnant women. These days, there are a lot of cosmetic brands targeting expecting women. Makeup is definitely safe for expecting mothers as long as they do not contain potentially harmful chemicals.
- Exfoliate twice a week to get rid of impurities as well as dry skin. Exfoliating is definitely safe during pregnancy. In fact, it can be beneficial because it leaves your skin soft while thoroughly removing dead skin cells. One of the brand’s best products for expecting women is the Gentle Peeling Smooth Away Cream.
Aside from the Gentle Peeling Smooth Away Cream, Clarins has a line of skincare products for pregnancy women that can be used during pregnancy and after delivery. The products work on all skin types. The best part is that all of them are dermatologist-tested!