Our hands are an extremely important part of the body. We use it to eat, write and even greet others. Many of our daily activities can wear our hands down, including activities like washing dishes, doing chores, gardening and the like. As you age, your hands experience a decreased ability to repair itself after damaging exposure to the elements.
For smoother hands that are plump and youthful, try these proven methods that will help you maintain them to the best of your ability:
- Wash your hands with moisturizing soap. Whenever you need to wash your hands, like before and after a meal, or after using the toilet, try using mild moisturizing soap that won’t strip your skin of its natural moisture. Also, avoid anti-bacterial soaps as they tend to dehydrate your skin more than normal ones. As long as you wash your hands correctly, it is good enough and there is no need for specialized anti-bacterial soaps.
- Wear gloves when dealing with detergents. Avoid harsh detergents when washing dishes or doing the laundry if you have sensitive hands as these can strip your hands of hydration, causing them to wrinkle and peel. Wear rubber gloves if your hands have to come into contact with these detergents for an extended period of time.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. There are many hand moisture products out there from artificial creams to natural balms made from plant-based products. Luxurious hand creams usually do the trick, but it’s better if you pick one that has collagen. Collagen is a type of protein that keeps the skin elastic and firm. There are also moisturizing products that contain certain growth factors, which promote the production of collagen. These growth factors are also able to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on your skin. Moisturizers also help prevent the skin on your hands from peeling.
- Use hand sunscreen. In addition to avoiding direct sunlight and keeping your hands out of the sun as much as possible, use a special sunscreen cream designed for your hands. It should have at least an SPF 25 to SPF 30 content. You don’t need a high SPF content for daily use, but if you’re outdoors for an extended period of time, let’s say for a trip to the beach, you may want to consider a higher SPF content. Protection from the sun will prevent skin peeling and dry skin, as well as the signs of ageing.
- Treat yourself to a manicure. Whether you decide to go to a professional manicure center or do it by yourself at home, a good manicure will result in amazing looking hands. You can start by cleaning your nails using lemon juice, and buffing them with a soft cloth. This can be followed by moisturizing your nails and pushing the cuticles back before proceeding to file your nails.
Clean and beautiful hands not only leave a good impression but they also function better and are kept healthier so that you can perform any task with ease.